Thursday 16 February 2017

To stretch or not to stretch

After this weekend's race I decided to grab a cup of tea and a biscuit at the race headquarters and sit down. I'd only half dunked my bourbon when BANG calf cramp struck. I'd never really struggled with cramp before and this was a whole new feeling I didn't enjoy. I explained the cramp to someone I know, who was also there, and they asked if I'd stretched and my answer was no. A couple of calf stretches later and I was able to return to my cup of tea to dunk another bourbon without being rudely interrupted by calf cramp.

Cramp obviously identifies an issue and my first thought was that I hadn't cooled down or included any stretches in my post run routine. It was a particular muddy and uneven surface throughout the run, which obviously resulted in the calf muscles working much harder than usual.  Anyway, I thought I would take the opportunity to share a few of my thoughts about stretching, warming up and cooling down.

I must warn you that there will be very little science in this post and a few things I put could be frowned upon. E.g. He took two bourbons when there might not have been enough to go round for all runners. 

Why stretch?
During A level PE lessons back in the day, it was made very clear that static stretches were needed to lengthen the muscle and reduce the risk of injury. Every practical session would start with a range of stretches and we all had to contribute one to the routine. Hold it for 10 seconds and then repeat on the other side; start from the top and work down the body so you don't miss any areas; concentrate on the areas you will be working on. 
I was particularly lazy back then and never really stretched properly. I had poor flexibility, didn't like the feeling and in most sessions never planned on working too hard. But my laziness highlighted that I was still able to take a pretty active part in sessions and not pull a single muscle even though I hadn't stretched effectively. 


When I started running in 2014 I thought that I better improve my stretching attitude. Basically, I was the wrong side of 30 and didn't want to snap. I stretched the quads, calves and hamstrings and would head out of the door. No muscle pulls and no snapping so all was good. However, as I got into running more I read that stretching muscles can actually result in a lower power output. Great! I'd just got back into stretching properly and read that it isn't necessary. As I was older, wiser and more mature than my A level PE days, I decided to do the right thing: stop stretching. Well in terms of completing a stretching routine before runs anyway. I took that decision about two years ago and haven't looked back. The only time I might stretch before a race is if something feels tight. During my time recovering from IT band syndrome (If you do struggle with IT band syndrome I have some great advice so feel free to get in touch via Twitter or Facebook and I can share it with you) I did complete one really good IT band stretch before running but recently have stopped that as I believe it's more important to activate the glute muscles (bum cheek muscle) before running.

There are times when I do stretch but I focus on and around the area that feels tight. This might be before running, during (yes I do stop when training and spend time stretching if something doesn't feel right) and after. I believe that this approach and using the foam roller gives my muscles what they need. I guess more stretching would improve my flexibility and therefore help my running but I haven't developed this yet. 

Foam roller use

Instead of focusing on stretching after a run I recommend walking for the last 200 metres. I do this on all training runs and it really does help flush the lactic acid out of the system and enables a gradual could down. During the walking phase you could incorporate some dynamic stretches. (Click this link for further info.) This simple approach, supplemented with foam roller use has enabled me to stay injury and cramp free. Interestingly, the cramp issue on Saturday happened at a time when I hadn't included my usual 200 metre walk. I think I was more focused on celebrating my 13th place finish and grabbing a biscuit!

Anyway, to summarise, there is obviously a time and place to stretch and if it works for you and keeps you injury free-keep it up. I think stretching is less about preventing injury and more about your muscles being able to produce their full range of motion to allow good running form. If I do stretch a certain muscle, I will hold the stretch for 30 seconds and gradually increase the force (over three stretches) each time. My other key message is to make sure you warm up or take it steady during the first 2-3km of your run and definitely include a walking phase at the end. Throw in a bit of foam roller use and all will be good* 

(*This is not true. You can still get injured when you least expect it!)


2 comments:

  1. Good advice...any tips on activating the glutes before a run? I've recently noticed a slight twinge in this area

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a theraband before leaving the house. If it's a race I might be out of the house a while before the start so swing the leg back and forth with exaggerated range. Then swap to other leg. Copy this link for theraband exercises: https://youtu.be/eY0pSLO8lEk

    If the glutes feel pretty tight I will foam roll them.

    ReplyDelete